A CSK "rally" in 2007

Drop in, say hello to other owners and fans, and buy some coffees...

A CSK "rally" in 2007

by John.Reddie » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:52 pm

Here's an idea for how we might get some CSKs together. This could be a simple "let's all meet at point a" affair, but perhaps more interesting would be to see where people who might like to take part in such an event are located, and then see if we can concoct a route that goes as near as practicable, maybe over a long weekend, to everyone who'd like to take part.

People can then join the "rally" for as much or as little of the route as their time and circumstances permit.

Is this too complicated? Should we just find somewhere in the middle of the UK and do something simpler? Please indicate how you feel about this.

Maybe a weekend in the spring once the weather has improved and there's less salt on the roads?

Opinions and all other ideas very welcome.

thanks,
John - CSK072
WebMaster - www.rangerovercsk.com

Re: A CSK "rally" in 2007

by Gareth » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:13 pm

sounds good to me john. a weekend away suits me best as saves me trying to get away from work! is there any landrover events around then along the lines of billing or LRO weekend etc as could use that as a base point?
No. 57
old enough to know better-young enough not to care

by stuclark » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:24 am

I'd be up for either a location based rally, or an event which takes in various locations...

Anything basically... let's see how many CSKs we can get in one place.
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by guycashmore » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:21 pm

The obvious place would seem to be the ALRC rally at the end of May??

It's being held just north of Birmingham this year, which is the most central location it has been held at in years!

by John.Reddie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:57 am

OK, time to start planning something. The end of May doesn't work for me (sorry, selfish I know!) and I'm thinking about maybe a long weekend at the end of June (23/24th) or the one after (30th/1st July) and a route that runs from Cambridge (accessible from Harwich via the A14 for anyone coming from mainland Europe), up to York, across to Chester, down through the Welsh borders to Bristol, on to Salisbury and then up to London and either into the middle on a Sunday night or under Thames via the Dartford tunnel (M25) and loop back to the starting point.

That's quite a tour of course, and I doubt if anyone (except me!) will do the lot. The idea is that people join for a section and peel off again when their fuel gauges dictate!

But if we did Cambridge to York on the Friday afternoon, York to mid Wales on the Saturday, and mid Wales to London (via Stonehenge) on the Sunday then it's feasible I think - and I'll plan a route that involves "nice" roads in the more attractive parts and some motorway when we just want to get on with it.

Photo opportunities and a bit of sight-seeing should make for a busy schedule, but it'll prove the point that these cars are still practical vehicles and not relics of a bygone age removed from mothballs for a 60 mile run to the coast!

Any takers? Or is this just too ambitious???
John - CSK072

by John.Reddie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 pm

I've attached a jpg to this thread with a rough idea of my proposed route, we can fine tune once people express any interest!!!
John - CSK072

by stuclark » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 pm

That's a long way, but yes... I'm up for it!

The 30th / 1st isn't good for me though, so the previous weekend is my preference.
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by Michiel Bakkenes » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:17 pm

I'm in for a CSK rally at the end of June. But let's hope that we can gather enough enthousiasts!! It think it would be a great success if at least 20 participants would join the rally.

by j,moore » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 pm

hi there, i'll have a go, dont mind when but may not do the full tour, will have to see how well she goes, maybe get some rally plates made simlar to the ones they have on the london to brighton run and monticarlo rally (thats maybe a bit too far).anyway, just set the date and i'll be there. (hopfully)

by John.Reddie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:53 pm

4 CSKs does not a rally make! But it's early days...

What might be helpful is if people could indicate which "stages" of the route they propose to join. Obviously "all" is a good answer, but I appreciate that this won't suit everyone.

I think this whole idea becomes viable if we can reach the point where we'll have at least several CSKs at every stage of the run. But if this is going to consist of just 2 or 3 cars plodding round the UK then maybe we could think of a better journey to suit the fewer cars?

Please spread the word - I don't think we need to rush into any decisions yet beyond veering towards the earlier weekend (ie 22-24 June) in the light of comments above!
John - CSK072

Next