viscous diffs and other things

Drop in, say hello to other owners and fans, and buy some coffees...

viscous diffs and other things

by j,moore » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:05 pm

hello again, last weekend the decission was made and i brought the csk into the workshop to do some pre season checks as i intend to run the csk this summer before brining it in for total restoration hopefuly in late august, the first thing was a new set of tyres, then a newer bonnet that i bought on ebay that was black and had the silver stripes on it (luckily) so it didnt need spraying, a new pair of headlamps, lower fog lamps and heated windscreen switch but most importantly the ceased center diff. i noticed a few people were unsure about thease so i thought it was worth mentioning it. an easy way to check if the diff lock is ceased is to jack up one of the front wheels and try to turn it, if the wheel turns but whith some resistance (simlar to if a brake was dragging) then it is ok but if you cant turn the wheel at all then it is ceased. the whole job takes about 2 hours but this depends on the exhaust, it took nearly half an hour to remove mine whithout destroying it and this one wasnt that old so beware that if your exhaust is old it may fall apart whilst trying to remove. once this is removed the job is quite simple. on removal the diff is an enclosed unit so internal inspection is not realy posible but it apears to be maide up of friction cluch plates but why it jams up is not easily identified. my replacement was new but there are a few second hand units on ebay although how good they are is anybodys guess, if any one wants any info on the stripdown and asembly i will gladly pass on any info (no gaurantees given), and so after a few other minor jobs and a good clean csk 034 was ready for the summer season. i hope this info is of some use see you soon, jim

Re: viscous diffs and other things

by andy lanham » Sun May 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi
just to comment when changing the viscous coupling make sure that the shaft that it runs on has good splines. If the coupling has been seized for awhile then these are the next to fail. It is an easy job to change in situ and test the chain for slack at the same time as it has no tensioner. Hope this helps