Forum upgrade

Drop in, say hello to other owners and fans, and buy some coffees...

Forum upgrade

by testpilot » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:55 pm

John(admin) here, using a new account to prove this works...

Well finally after about 5yrs of wondering what to do about an obsolete platform I have managed to recreate the whole forum in this new environment, which is reasonably current and up-to-date. Some further upgrades are now possible but these will be simple by comparison.

I've changed new logins to requiring authorisation from me - endlessly fighting bots that post rubbish all over the boards is no fun for any of us. I'm also going to seriously purge the 600 or so users on this forum. If you own a CSK and we have it registered here then I'll ensure you don't get lost in the process but please do consider changing your password - whatever you might have set years back probably doesn't qualify as a decent password these days. (Mine didn't!!!)

Huge thanks also to Rupert (crugbun) for gently stirring things (back) into life... I'm going to see if I can update the registry info here in conjunction with his most useful updates and additions...

cheers all - it's perhaps ironic that it takes being forced to stay indoors to provide some time to sort this out... at last ;-)

John

Re: Forum upgrade

by crugbun » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:07 pm

Well done John...!

by csk072 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Almost... I'm aware that images attached to posts on the old forum have not been preserved in this process. I do however still have the images (there are about 40 of them in total) and propose to try and figure out how to reattach them manually ;-)

Fingers crossed...

John
Site Admin

by csk072 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:10 pm

And finally, you may note that this forum now requires manual approval (by me) before anyone can complete registration. Despite this, I just had an idiot write back to me and confirm his interest in CSKs only to then post rubbish across the boards. With this new system it's just one click to throw him out and delete all his posts (which of course I just did) and one more click to ban him permanently. What a w.... !!!

So if people feel these measures are a bit stiff, perhaps this will illustrate the context.

cheers all,
John
Site Admin

by buzzer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Yes good to see this back up and running, well done, especially as it’s 50 years of range rovers. Shame we are all on lock down and looks like a lot of events will be cancelled

by Defender50th » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Well done John, glad it’s back up and running, I always keep an eye on it :)
----------------------------------------------
James

by 125 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 pm

Well done and great to see some activity back. I own 125 and know of the whereabouts and owners of three more so will spread the word.