csk's, how many are still out there,,,,

Drop in, say hello to other owners and fans, and buy some coffees...

csk's, how many are still out there,,,,

by j,moore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 am

hi all, just returned from europe and opened the workshop with my csk restoration project in it. will be starting on it next week and should hopefully have the shell ready for painting by friday. i will (hopefully) post some pics on here of the job as it progresses and should have it on the road by some time in may.

one of my range rover anorak friends told me yesterday that it was the 40th anniversary of the range rover this year and so wondered if there were any special rallies or events this year to celebrate the fact. and that led me to another question, just how many csk's are still on the road. i have noticed quite a lot of range rover classics are now being run until the mot runs out and then either being laid up or broken up due to the uneconomical cost of repair to make them road worthy again. so i wonder how many csk owners have unwillingly had to do this and so how may are still on the road. it would be nice to know if there are any rallies this year so if i get mine on the road i'll have some where to show it off..
regards, james.

Re: csk's, how many are still out there,,,,

by Defender50th » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:44 pm

This is taken from the "About the CSK" section:
In the beginning only 200 CSK's were built, which makes them something of a rarity. We know that 2 CSK's ended up on the Land Rover test fleet and were run to destruction. What happened to the other 198 ones?
Three cars went to Australia, as many as twelve we believe went to New Zealand, four or five examples went to South Africa, one ended up in Kenya, one car has been spotted in Argentina and three cars are at this moment in Holland. And we fear that several ones haven been broken up by garages or their owners after being considered beyond economical repair from rust or accident. Several ones will probably be in storage due to needing extensive repairs for an MOT and are awaiting the attentions of suitably skilled or wealthy owners. Of the rest, it is believed that 80 to 100 CSK's are still surviving or are at least in working order. So if you can find one in an average or even better condition, the exclusivity is even more bigger. At this moment we have 74 edition numbers registered on this website.

Gaydon is doing a bit of a range rover 40th thing. The RRR is doing a 40th on saturday and on sunday there is a range rover only heritage run : http://www.hlrw.co.uk/index2.html
----------------------------------------------
James

by stuclark » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:44 pm

The RRR event at Gaydon on the weekend of 1st - 3rd May is the "big" birthday bash, with, as stated, a RR only day and a RR only heritage run (along with the usual LR heritage run).

I am not sure how many CSKs will be going along to the event, as no CSK specific thing has been organised, but my car is going to be there (on the RRR stand I hope) and it would be great to see a few more CSKs too.

For the LR 60th birthday 2 years ago we had 4 CSKs in a row - it would be nice to beat that number!
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by Jeremy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Sadly mine wont be makeing it