Radios again...

Restoring or repairing your CSK? Please share the joy (or otherwise!) here, and also please feel free to ask questions too. We'll try to help but our advice is an opinion only and you use it at your own risk...

Radios again...

by stuclark » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:53 am

I've finally got round to tearing the original radio out of my car - successfully interpreted the wiring diagram such that I can connect it back into the car, via the ISO plugs / sockets I've now wired in (on chock blocks only at this stage).

The slightly newer Clarion head unit I wanted to fit does work, however, the audio output is very, very low volume. Doing a bit more digging, it appears this unit (a PRC8733 / PRC8920) was intended to be used with an external Clarion amp (fitted in the boot on later SEs)

My question is... have those of you who have swapped your radios out had to do any work to fit an external amplifier, or are you using head units which include the amp themselves? If you have had to fit an external amp, how have you gone about altering the wiring (which seems to disappear up behind the heater somewhere) to achieve this?
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

Re: Radios again...

by Gareth » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:11 pm

you flogging the original radio mate??
ta
No. 57
old enough to know better-young enough not to care

by stuclark » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:22 pm

I hadn't thought about it, to be honest...

The wiring is a little chopped about(as I left the original connector in the car), but the radio still works correctly if wired up.
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by rrdoctoruk » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:57 am

do you know the part number of youre original radio,if you are selling youres how much and here are you

by stuclark » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:36 pm

The original part number is PRC7119 (Clarion part no. PU9275A). I've only seen one other of these on ebay, so probably won't be selling it at the moment, just incase I ever want to return my car to "standard"

by Gareth » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:50 pm

sounds like rrdoctoruk and i had the same idea!
thanks for the part num mate going to keep my eyes open ;)
No. 57

by stuclark » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:33 am

This is major thread-revival I know, but having performed radio surgery on 2 CSKs with 4 different radios, I now know quite a lot about the wiring, fitting and pitfalls of this game.

...if any of you have any questions, please ask... (btw, my car is now running a Kenwood system with integrated bluetooth handsfree / bluetooth audio streaming / iPod / USB / 10 CD autochanger ... and it all fits in the original hole with no nasty sticky-out things!

by Gareth » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:07 am

wow, you have had fun! hoping to do something like that with mine. ipod input is a must!
No. 57