A slight ticking noise turns into a full overhaul

Restoring or repairing your CSK? Please share the joy (or otherwise!) here, and also please feel free to ask questions too. We'll try to help but our advice is an opinion only and you use it at your own risk...

A slight ticking noise turns into a full overhaul

by Robert » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi gents,

My nr 050 developed a slight tiking noise....and it turns into a serious overhaul. Great, just after X-mas...

Last monday I brought my CSK into the workshop for some regular maintainance and my MOT. She wasn't ready at the end of the day and my mechanic told me it might take a little longer. Very ominous...and I was right: a small oilleak triggered a full inspection and turned up a seriously worn camshaft, worn tappets, timing chain, leaky waterpump, serious sludge thanks to a blocked ventilation, cracked crankshaft chainwheel (lucky we discovered that one on time....), malfunctioning ignition.....in short, this will definitely tick up to a major four-figure bill :( . But, on the bright side: hope this bought me some serious extra milage with all those new bits.
Refitting the bedouin-tent-headlining will have to wait.

Any suggestions on running in this new gear? Do I need to limit my revs for x-miles and change the oil after some 500 miles?

Cheers,
Robert Heezen CSK050