What's a CSK worth?

Buying or selling - anything from a whole car to a wheel nut - please post here and good luck...

What's a CSK worth?

by Peter161 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm planning on selling my CSK (161) soon but what's it worth? There seems to be a huge range of values for those few that are advertised. Mine is a manual in good original condition and used daily but has done 159K and needs ongoing TLC. Any thoughts?

Re: What's a CSK worth?

by PeteB » Fri May 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Rust is the great issue IMHO.

Without doing the work yourself it will cost a fortune to rectify through a garage with some parts being unobtainable.

If the seats/door cards are in good condition and tidy, the inner wings, rear X member, sills, rear arches, rear floor and all body mounts are good then I think that will help vastly with value.

Mileage, once you get to this age, doesn't mean so much to me. I'd rather have a high-mileage well cared for car than one with half the miles that's going rotten and hasn't been cared for.

These seem to be in high demand and a fair few have changed hands for around the £5000 mark recently, from what I could gleam from the adverts these looked to be in OK but nowhere near perfect condition.

To put that into perspective a CSK that hadn't been on the road for 2 years and was without a working engine went on ebay for £3400!

Classicmobilia advertises their CSK's for around the £9000 mark, two would appear to have sold recently but I don't know how much for.

hope this helps.

by Peter161 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks Pete - your views pretty much agree with what I've been thinking but it's nice to get a second opinion. I've seen the classicmobilia website - their prices seem a bit high but then they're running a business, not selling privately.

Rust is the great problem with all classic cars (my other car is an MGB which has had a full restoration) but at least with Range Rovers you can work on a bit at a time then get the car back on the road (unless you're doing a complete rebuild like your project - very impressive). Mine's had the rear arches and sills repaired and will need some front inner wing repairs in future. I've replaced the upper tailgate though - much easier than trying to repair the old one. The interior is OK, not mint, but most importantly it's complete. I use it every day so keep it in good mechanical order.

Unfortunately I don't have the time any more to maintain 2 classics so the CSK is up for sale. Watch this space!

by stolengrapefruit » Sat May 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Let me know when your ready to sell - I could be interested!

by Peter161 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I am now ready to sell - see my other post with more details and pictures.