Offers invited for CSK number 2

Buying or selling - anything from a whole car to a wheel nut - please post here and good luck...

Re: Offers invited for CSK number 2

by chrispayne » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Relisted on ebay, if interested have a look.
Chris

ps. Tut-tut Mr Carsten.

by Johnners » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:27 pm

In the interests of transparency in the marketplace I sold CSK 15 last year, with all of it's documentation (including boxed certificate etc) in pretty good overall condition, 100k miles, and having just had replacement sills for £5k...on ebay. It also had the plate G15 CSK with it, although as it went to Poland, that didn't actually add any value to the transaction. I'd paid £5500 for it and didn't think I'd done too badly. I also drove CSK No. 2 when it was for sale in London in 2006 (Balham if I recall rightly) from the previous vendor (not Chris Payne I should make clear). Chris might be finding that regrettably, as with a new car, the perceived value of added extras are rarely realised in the marketplace come sale time.

by John.Reddie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:48 am

Interesting discussion.,,

So what ARE CSKs worth these days? The glib answer is whatever people are prepared to pay for them. But here are some recent observations of mine...

1. There's been one classified ad on eBay for the past few months asking for £6995 for one that didn't sound to me as though it was worth that much. I stress I've not seen the car and may well be wrong. But it's just been relisted at £9995 so maybe someone knows something???

2. H15 CSK just sold on eBay as a kit of parts with a "rotten" body for more than I paid for mine two years ago. OK, so I got a bargain... :) I don't think mine is anything like as rotten as this one from the description. Just clocked 200,000 miles and still going like a bat out of hell (if required to do so). But rebuilt this one is going to be luscious. The rebuild will however undoubtedly cost more than the "value" of the car. Thank goodness for enthusiasts!

I think the key is originality as others have said here. If it's a genuine, authentic collector's piece then the "silly" money is justified as there are certainly less than 100 left now... But buy as an investment and not as a daily driver, and mothball the thing.

Mine's out of the "original" stakes because it's LPG converted. Other than that, it's very straight. So I reckon mine could sell for more (not that it is for sale) without the LPG kit than with. But then it's an environmentally unfriendly guzzler with a thirst that defies my bank account! So I'll stick to LPG thank you very much, especially if Ken gets his £25 per day London congestion charge in place for the petrolheads.

But the minute we do anything to these cars to make them more "2008 friendly" or simply to keep them on the road and move away from "factory" spec then we destroy whatever "value" they might have. Assuming you worry about value in terms of £££s that is. Me - I enjoy it too much to care. Value for me is far more about the sheer pleasure of driving my CSK than wondering what it would fetch on eBay!!! Or anywhere else for that matter...

John
John - CSK072
WebMaster - www.rangerovercsk.com

by stuclark » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:39 am

John, I quite agree - originality is now beginning to be the driving factor in the price a CSK can demand.

As I've said before, my current car is 99% original - the only thing that's been changed is the radio, and I've done that in such a way that it's easy to re-fit the original one. Everything else on the car is as it left the factory. I think I got a bargain when I bought it, but it wasn't cheap. (not as expensive as the one on eBay for £9995 or in the same league as the £20000 wanted for No.1, although mine also has very low milage)

My belief has always been that it should be possible to sympathetically bring a CSK more up to date without affecting it's residual value or originality. The key is to make any and all modifications in such a way that they can be undone to return the car to it's original state. LPG is a good case in point as if fitted subtly, I think it should enhance rather than detract from the value of the car. However, if just "slapped in" would undoubtedly change the cars appearance for ever and so reduce it's collectability.

What are they worth? My feeling is that a good, original, low milage CSK should be able to fetch between £8000 and £10000. A "standard", somewhat rusty, 120,000 mile example is probably worth about £4000 and a basket case is going to be somewhere around £2000.
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by chrispayne » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Now for auction on ebay again, no reserve, I really do need to sell - business expansion funding !
Chris

Previous