CSK 28 now £4995 on eBay

Buying or selling - anything from a whole car to a wheel nut - please post here and good luck...

CSK 28 now £4995 on eBay

by stuclark » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 pm

The long unsold CSK no.28 has finally started dropping to a reasonable price on eBay. Knock another grand off and I reckon 28 could end up being a good deal :)
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

Re: CSK 28 now £4995 on eBay

by Deano » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:09 pm

If 070 sold for @2602 on ebay and was in very good order and 94k miles (save for inner wings), what is this one really worth?

Deano

Re: CSK 28 now £4995 on eBay

by stuclark » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:29 am

I would say (without having seen either of those cars, (but having bought 2 and sold 1 CSK)that no. 70 sold for less than it's worth and no. 28 is still over-priced.

When I sold no. 86 it too needed some work on the inner wings (quite a lot of work on the inners, truth be told) and it also needed various other jobs doing (new fuel tank, usual boot floor problems, tires at the end of their natural) yet I quite easily sold it privately for over £3500. I think that was a reasonable price for it, especially as a lot of the external panels had already been replaced or repaired and the interior was pretty mint.

Looking at no. 28 it's clearly had the bonnet replaced or resprayed, which indicates it too has inner wing troubles (based on the "if the bonnet is rusty, so is everything under it" premise) and there's also some lining missing from one of the rear quarter panels, indicating this has been changed / resprayed etc. If everything else is perfect with the car, I'd say that would put it at being worth somewhere around £4K (maybe a bit under).

No. 70 looked to be in very good condition externally. The inner wing and other faults seemed to be honestly described and from this I would have thought the car to be worth about the same as no. 28, so I think that whoever bought it on eBay got themselves a good bargain!

(my experience with eBay is that cars on there never sell for what they're worth - great if you're buying but not so if you're selling. So my rule of thumb is, if selling a car or something else where you have a good, firm idea of what you want for it, set that as the reserve. Don't tell people what that is as it puts them off, but describe it as "reasonable". Even if the car doesn't actually sell on eBay, you can bet that someone watching the auction will get in touch afterwards. (that's how I came to own both my CSKs - neither sold and I contacted the seller later. Indeed that's also how I sold no. 86 - it didn't sell but the buyer emailed me about 30 minutes after the auction finished)
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.