Upper tailgate csk-decals

Buying or selling - anything from a whole car to a wheel nut - please post here and good luck...

Upper tailgate csk-decals

by Robert » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi all,

I just fitted a replacement upper tailgate on CSK nr 50, as the old one was rusting badly. The Haynes Restoration Manual made a fitting remark about '... some patience is required ....' indeed. It took a few hours to fiddle with both strikerplates to get the lock engaging properly.

I was able to save the 'slow down for horses-window sticker' as applied by the first owner (nice country-touch in the City of The Hague :)) . It was imposible to recover the two-piece transparant decal on the lower edge of the window however,((1)"CSK:Charles Spencer (Spen) King (2) "The designer of the original Range Rover in 1970").

Question: any sugestion as to where I might get hold of one?

Happy Holidays,
Robert Heezen CSK050

Re: Upper tailgate csk-decals

by Jeremy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I'll be honest, I've never seen one... any chance of a photo of the old?

by Robert » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Two pics of the sticker on the lower edge of the tailgate-window. See attachment.

Any clues?

Cheers,
Robert Heezen CSK050

by Jeremy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Interesting. The CSK was a little before my time when new and my memory of them in the showrooms is hazey. However none of the sales material or early articles on the cars seems to show anything.

My guess is it is from the original dealer, may well have been added whilst in the showroom to try and boost its sale (these didnt sell well when new remember).

Would be easy enough to get a good sign company to copy though

by Robert » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks Jeremy, you're probably right. I'll have a lookout for a printing service that might be able to copy it. Shouldn't be that hard, I asume.

I've never seen the actual CSK-sales brochure, nor do I remember the CSK's in the showroom, as most of them were UK-based anyway or destined for far places and .... very few have actualy made it to The netherlands. Michiel Bakkenes wrote me that 3 or max 4 ended up on this side of the pond. I know only of Michiel's nr 041 and my 050.

Cheers,
Robert Heezen CSK050

by stuclark » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:10 am

I've got all the original CSK sales brochures as well as the quite rare options catalogue, and that sticker doesn't appear in any of them, so I think it's got to have been added by a dealer or previous owner during the car's life.

It certainly is an interesting sticker though... perhaps the "CSK club" should club together to get a batch of something similar produced.
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by Robert » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:32 pm

Stuart, coming January I'll be seeing a chap in printing. He'll be making a copy for me to stick on the inside of the tailgate window. I might just as well have several copies made, so if you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a set. Anyone else interested?

Have a good New Year!

Nb. Yesterday had a tremendous 200 mile drive in sunny, wintery Holland (motorway and some green-laning) and nr 050 did a wonderfull job. With a grill-cuff she warmed up nicely and kept going without a single hickup. Plastic bottle of Evian was frozen solid and the kids complained that the seats were cold, but that all changed after about 5 minutes. What a ride!
Robert Heezen CSK050